I cannot imagine being a 10-year-old child in today’s world. Every fantasy and every fear from my science fiction childhood has mostly come to be fact. Those things that as a child I thought were going to be such a great thing have turned into nightmares and the things I feared the most have become a necessity for survival. This is a world I wished for my entire childhood, and a world I cannot stand seeing my children and grandchildren having to endure. Our connections to this earth have dwindled, and our endless appetite for progress has become our worst nightmare. While the Orwellian classic 1984 was somewhat dark in its portrayal of modern society, it was pretty close on the lessons we should have headed. We are quickly becoming a world of Zombies controlled by electronic devices, over seen by the same entities which seek to separate us and isolate us.
There are several significant differences in being a 10-year-old child between 1974 and 2023. Some of these differences include:
- Technology: One of the most significant differences is the vast technological advancements that have occurred between 1974 and 2020. In 1974, technology was still in its early stages, and computers were not widely available. In contrast, in 2020, children have access to a wide range of technology, including smartphones, tablets, and computers, which have revolutionized the way they learn and interact with the world.
- Education: Another significant difference is the changes in education. In 1974, education was primarily classroom-based, and children learned by rote memorization and repetition. Today, education has become more personalized and interactive, with a focus on critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity.
- Lifestyle: The lifestyle of children has also changed significantly between 1974 and 2020. In 1974, children spent most of their time playing outside with their friends, while in 2023, children tend to spend more time indoors, playing video games, or on their electronic devices.
- Safety: Safety is another significant difference between the two eras. In 1974, children were allowed to roam freely outside, and their parents did not have to worry about their safety as much as they do today. Today, parents are more concerned about their children’s safety and tend to supervise them more closely. stunting emotional growth and not allowing for decision making lessons of yesteryears.
- Diversity: The world has become much more diverse since 1974, and children are now exposed to a much wider range of cultures and lifestyles than they were in the past. This exposure has allowed children to become more tolerant and accepting of others. while also allowing for more undue influences to be consumed when parents are too busy to monitor their children’s interactions.
The world has changed significantly in the past few decades, and these changes have impacted the lives of children in many ways. All of our science fiction fanasies as children are coming to fruition. If you were 10 in 1974, then you are probably as out of touch with todays youth as I am. When I was 10 I couldn’t wait to be outside, doing anything that was NOT inside. Times have changed and as hard as we try to keep up, the technology is quickly surpassing us. No, I cannot imagine being a 10-year-old in today’s world, as I imagine my grandchildren cannot imagine a childhood in our world.